Tuesday, May 26, 2009

memorial day

Sooo... as I mentioned in my last post, I have a fishing license. I have been fishing many times...at least four, and though I have fished each time, I have caught nothing...at least until yesterday. Yesterday, I caught my first fish in YEARS!! Actually, I caught 5 fish, 6 if you count the one I pulled in on my brother's pole while he was fishing with his other pole. It is so much more fun to fish when you actually catch fish..or those who you are with catch fish. Memorial day was a pretty awesome fishing day.
My brother, roommate, and I camped out on Sun night at a local park. It was a rather long chilly night, though I think I was the only one who did not sleep well. I was a little chilly (should've brought warmer blankets) and the ground was hard. I did sleep on and off through the night..was woken at 0400 by an owl sitting in the trees above us. I have never heard an owl that loud before...it woke everyone in the tent. My brother tried to find it in the trees, but was unable to find it. I stopped hooting a little while after he tried to find it.
Back to the fishing......none of us knew how to fillet a fish. I had googled it at work one night this past week, so I had a basic idea. It, however, is rather difficult to remember instructions I read over a week before and had never put into practice. We also needed a sharper knife, however, we got filletish pieces/chunks of fishes (hopefully bone free) that we will be able to cook. Suffice to say it will be awhile before we master the art of cleaning and filleting fish. I'm surprised I don't stilll smell like a fish...though I did take a very lengthy shower and scrubbed down quite well. I also had to soak my clothes since I got fish blood in several places on them, thought that was more due to taking hooks out of fish than cleaning the fish.
Well, enough about fishing...My roommate and I were able to get our garden planted this past week. we also planted flowers in our flower beds and created new flower beds. I only hope the arrangement of flowers looks as pretty as I hope it will. I really don't have anything more to post, so I will say "goodbye" for now.

1 comment:

Susan said...

congrats on catching your first fish! very exciting! Glad to hear you got to campout also, sounds like fun. It always amazes how much harder the ground seems sleeping on it versus just sitting on it.